Usually, the menstrual cycle takes 28 days but not all women are equal. Some of them have irregular periods.
The prevalence of irregular menstruation varies from 5% to 35.6% depending on age, occupation, and country of residence . If a woman has shorter period cycles, she might want to know how to make menstruation come faster.
And the reasons to make periods come faster can be very different – from a trip you have planned long before, your best friend’s wedding, and to your birthday banquet.
But you must know that there are no guaranteed ways to make your menstruation arrive in a day or two.
However, over time if you follow some recommendations like doing exercises, use of relaxation methods, pursuing a healthy diet, you could make your period come a little faster.
Before you decide to use them, make a pregnancy test for early detection of pregnancy, as some of the things below may negatively affect pregnancy.
Therefore, if you know for sure that you are not pregnant and want your period come faster, there are a few things you can try.
Birth control pills
Hormonal contraception is considered as one of the most reliable methods of taking control of your periods. The combined pill containing estrogen and progestin has proven its efficiency.
Women take hormonal pills for 21days, then stop taking them for 7 days. If you stop taking the pill early, the menstruation will come faster.
Note that if you use this method often or violate the doctor’s prescription, in the future, the pills may be less reliable for preventing pregnancy.
Also, hormonal contraceptives are used for so-called menstrual manipulation if they are used in extended or continuous regimens.
It means they may be taken to have the periods less often or to avoid bleeding at inconvenient times. Currently, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved several contraceptives that may be used for menstrual manipulation 
But some women avoid taking hormonal pills and search for natural ways to induce periods. There are many of them. Here are some of them:
It is one of the most popular ways to accelerate the menstrual cycle. A warm bath can relax you and relieve PMS symptoms.
Also, some findings show that the heat can loosen the abdominal muscles and, as a result, it stimulates the blood flow from the uterus .
Sometimes placing a hot water pack on the abdomen for about 10 minutes at a time for two or three times a day may help.
According to some studies, vitamin C may elevate estrogen levels and lower progesterone levels. It increases the amount of uterine lining and the menstruation occurs earlier .
The recommended daily dose of vitamin C is 60 mg. You may take vitamin supplements or eat food rich in vitamin C like kiwi, lemon, orange, leafy vegetables, and blackberries.
Workout in the gym or jogging improves blood circulation and can cause your period a little earlier.
Besides, exercising is an excellent way to have your period less painful. But do not work too hard as intense unaccustomed exercise can lead to the opposite effect.
Carotene is a nutrient that supports estrogen levels in the female body, and it may potentially induce your period.
According to some findings, the average daily intake of carotene may help support women’s health . To obtain the necessary quantity of carotene, eat papaya, carrots, apricots, peaches, and spinach.
Certain foods and herbs
Traditionally, women have used various herbs and food supplements to regularize their periods. And some of these methods or supplements are known to work.
Some of the food items or herbal extracts well-known to help with menstrual irregularities are:
- It is rich in bromelain, an enzyme affecting estrogen and other hormones . Some findings show that this enzyme may help regulate periods and if a woman has missed or late period, pineapple may potentially make it faster.
- Ginger. This spice has a long history of medicinal use that dates back over 2,500 years, has been used as a traditional remedy in Chinese and Indian medicine. It is believed that ginger may make periods come faster. Also, some findings show that ginger root may help to reduce pain and relieve nausea, vomiting, and changes in bowel habits in women suffering from late periods .
- Black cohosh. It is a herbal supplement that may help regulate the menstrual cycle. According to some findings, black cohosh may tone the uterus and promote the shedding of the uterine lining . Also, a herb may be helpful against heavy flows, and it may decrease the duration of menstruation. But, if you take black cohosh, be careful, as it may interact with many medications. And the supplement is not recommended for patients suffering from high blood pressure, and for those who have liver problems.
- Dong Quai. It is a popular Chinese herb that has been used for hundreds of years. It is believed to help induce periods as it improves blood flow to the pelvis and stimulates muscles in the uterus causing uterine contractions. But medical experts recommend avoiding using Dong Quai with other herbs or medicines as it may lead to some side effects .
Sexual activity may help induce your menstruation. It occurs as having an orgasm causes your cervix to dilate. It creates some vacuum, and the menstrual blood will flow. Regular sex may also help promote a healthy hormonal balance and regulate the menstrual cycle.
The findings show that both orgasms through penetrative and non-penetrative sexual activity may help . That’s why a woman who wants her period to come faster may stimulate her genitals for sexual pleasure to the point of orgasm, whether she is sexually active or not.
Diet and weight control
Low body weight can lead to irregular menstruation cycles. It is because your body needs fat to produce hormones. If a woman has high body weight, it also can cause irregular periods.
A well-balanced diet and healthy weight will help you menstruate regularly, avoid late periods and maintain your reproductive health.
Also, there are some things that you should avoid waiting for your periods to start:
- Avoid salty and heavy food
- Do not drink much caffeine. Instead, to speed up the arrival of menstruation drink chamomile, parsley, ginger, rosemary or raspberry leaf teas
- Avoid aerated drinks.
Thus, we see, there are many methods to make your periods come faster. You can induce the menstruation to start a little earlier using some foods, exercising, relaxation methods or a warm bath.
Though experience shows that these methods work, but currently, there is not enough research to prove their effectiveness, except for hormonal pills.
Make sure to speak to your doctor about any concerns you have about your menstrual cycle and if you want to manipulate it.
- Kwak Y, Kim Y, Baek KA. Prevalence of irregular menstruation according to socioeconomic status: A population-based nationwide cross-sectional study. Erbil N, ed. PLOS ONE. 2019;14(3):e0214071. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0214071
- Hicks CW, Rome ES. Menstrual manipulation: Options for suppressing the cycle. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2010;77(7):445-453. doi:10.3949/ccjm.77a.09128
- Jo J, Lee SH. Heat therapy for primary dysmenorrhea: A systematic review and meta-analysis of its effects on pain relief and quality of life. Scientific Reports. 2018;8(1). doi:10.1038/s41598-018-34303-z
- Al-Katib S, Al-Jashamy K, Al-Kaabi MMH. Effects of Vitamin C on the Endometrial Thickness and Ovarian Hormones of Progesterone and Estrogen in Married and Unmarried Women. American Journal of Research Communication. 2013;1(8):24-31.
- Pramanik P, Banerjee SB, Saha P. PRIMARY DYSMENORRHEA IN SCHOOL GOING ADOLESCENT GIRLS—IS IT RELATED TO DEFICIENCY OF ANTIOXIDANT IN DIET? 2015;5(2):10.
- Pavan R, Jain S, Shraddha, Kumar A. Properties and Therapeutic Application of Bromelain: A Review. Biotechnology Research International. 2012;2012:1-6. doi:10.1155/2012/976203
- Chen CX, Barrett B, Kwekkeboom KL. Efficacy of Oral Ginger ( Zingiber officinale ) for Dysmenorrhea: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2016;2016:1-10. doi:10.1155/2016/6295737
- Predny ML, Angelis PD, Chamberlain JL. Black Cohosh (Actaea Racemosa): An Annotated Bibliography. Asheville: Southern Research Station; 2006.
- Chemical Information Review Document for Dong quai [CAS Nos. 308068-61-3 (root) and 299184-76-2 (extract)]. 2008. https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/noms/support_docs/dong_quai090308.pdf.
- Weekes-Shackelford VA, Shackelford TK. Evolutionary Perspectives on Human Sexual Psychology and Behavior – Google Книги. Rochester: Springer; 2014.
HI, I AM REFILW,E I USED A DEPO-PROVERA FOR SEVEN YEARS MY LAST SHOT WAS 10 FEBRUARY 2020. AFTER SEVEN DAYs i HAD MY PERIOD. MY QUESTION IS, DO I HAVE ANOTHER CHANCE TO HAVE ANOTHER BABY?
Hello Refilwe, after the end of using it ovulation should come again naturally and you might have a chance of getting pregnant.