What is Basal Body Temperature
Basal body temperature is the lowest body temperature when you’re totally relaxed. Theoretically, a body temperature of a healthy person is between 36 and 37 ° C. Basal Body temperature is lower among women in the first than in the second half of a menstrual cycle, and this change occurs just during ovulation when their temperature changes from lower to higher values.
Therefore, with regular and daily measurement of basal body temperature women can precisely predict their ovulation. Changes in temperature are not so large, generally only 0,1 ° C. To measure such small change you’ll need a basal body thermometer.
How to properly measure the basal temperature?
Here are the steps on how to properly measure your basal body temperature:
- Measure temperature for 5 minutes immediately after waking up, so before getting up.
- You can measure your temperature orally, rectally or vaginally, whatever you choose you should hold thermometer every day at the same place.
- Write down the measured temperature (you can make your own basal body temperature chart or get one from your gynecologist). If the measured temperature is significantly different from previous ones, especially if it is lower, shake the thermometer and measure your temperature again.
- If temperatures rise by 0.4-0.5 degree F above the previous level, and if the increase is not occurring due to cold or other illness, it is likely you’re ovulating. The ovulation is more likely if the increase was approximately 14 days before the next expected menstrual period, or if you noted increase in temperature on the same day in the previous cycle. In many cases, the temperature returns to normal within a day.
- If you measure temperature exactly as specified, it is very likely that you will successfully determine the day of ovulation If you’re trying to get pregnant it is advisable to have intercourse within 24 hours after the fall of temperature or within 24 hours from the time you recorded an increase, because that’s when your chances of getting pregnant are high.
- To make this measurement reliable you must measure temperature for at least two cycles. Using measurements during those two cycles, you’ll probably be able to predict when you’ll have the highest temperature during the next cycle.
Note: Abstaining from sexual intercourse for several days before ovulation will enable your partner to build up sufficient semen and thus increase the possibility of fertilization. It’s enough to have intercourse just once during 24 hours.