Recently honored with the EU Product Safety Award, MAM is devoted to manufacturing safe, sustainable, and premium products. Founded in Austria in 1976, where their major marketing and design center is still based, their product range is currently open to over 60 countries.
This covers all baby and parent needs, from pacifiers, baby bottles, and oral hygiene products to teethers, sterilizing sets, and even gift options. Furthermore, the MAM magazine (available online) offers all kinds of information related to pregnancy and parenting.
Disclaimer: This post might contain affiliate links. In case you buy through these links, we might receive a small commission, which helps us operate this website. Learn more here.
While pacifiers take the lead in best-selling MAM products, most parents are also devoted fans of their baby bottles due to the MAM nipple’s silicon-patented surface and flat shape.
This makes transitioning between breast and bottle feeding easier and also paves the path for switching to cups from as early as the first month.
How can you sterilize MAM bottles?
MAM bottles can be sterilized in boiling water for five minutes or using a liquid sterilizing solution, but they make parents’ lives even easier with their self-sterilizing function. The following steps can help disinfect the bottle safely and in little to no time:
- It is important to wash all six bottle parts with soap and warm water before reassembling them bottom to top in the following order: silicon valve pushed into the base, suction pulled through the collar, bottle body, and protective cap.
- Fill the base with 20 ml of tap water which can be measured out using the cap.
- Stack the components in the order mentioned above without screwing them shut. Ensure the nipple and collar are on the base, inside the bottle body.
- Place it in the microwave for about three minutes and let it cool for at least 10 minutes before use. If you’re using a combination microwave, ensure that the bottle is kept far away from the grill’s heat.
- Pour out the water from the base and store the parts assembled.
In this way, parents can easily sterilize up to six MAM bottles at once in only 8 minutes. Furthermore, there is no need to rewash the bottle after sterilizing.
What are the different types of MAM bottles available?
Before buying these highly recommended bottles, you might want to pick out
Easy Start Anti-Colic Bottle
The anti-colic bottle, suitable for infants up to 6 months, provides a smooth drinking flow, reduces air bubbles, and is ideal for traveling with its spill-proof cap. The wide openings allow easy cleaning and filling, while the flat teat makes it a good choice to combine with breastfeeding.
Easy Active Baby Bottle
Babies over four months can easily adapt to this bottle’s ergonomic shape and find its designs and motifs appealing. Infants easily accept the silky soft nipple for its familiar feeling. Moreover, the materials used in manufacturing components are all BPA and BPS free and, therefore, safe.
Feel Good Glass Bottle
Parents worried about the build of the bottle should be aware that the glass is temperature-resistant and can be cleaned in the dishwasher and sterilized at high temperatures. While it does not retain any smells or colors from food, making it perfect for formula as well, it is important to know that the bottle is only recommended for babies up from 2 months
How do MAM bottles reduce the chance of colic?
While the causes of abdominal colic in infancy are still unknown, ventilated bottles are suggested to reduce symptoms. MAM Anti-Colic bottles come with a valve in the base that prevents the liquid from frothing and allows air to flow into the bottle instead of the baby’s stomach.
This system is not only clinically proven, with over 80% of mothers reporting reduced colic-related incidences, but also reduces gas, burps, and spit-ups, all of which are known to contribute to the disease. Moreover, the bottle’s design also provides a smooth flow allowing babies to relax while they are fed.
Can MAM bottles be held easily by babies?
The wide openings, larger base, and self-sterilizing function all offer great benefits to parents looking for hassle-free baby bottles. But customer satisfaction in baby products cannot be completely determined before the little ones’ approval.
The ease of use differs from the options available, such as the Anti-Colic bottle, with its chunky ventilated base, is not easy to grab. On the other hand, both the Easy Active and Feel Good glass bottles, with their ergonomic shapes, are safe in those grubby palms.
However, it is necessary to note that these two are suitable for infants no less than two months.
Are there any downsides to MAM bottles?
Like most products, MAM bottles also come with some cons, such as;
- The bottle body has to be cleaned thoroughly and repeatedly; otherwise, the base develops an old milk smell and has to be replaced.
- The bottle cannot be kept in a warmer due to the removable base, which traps the steam and later leaks out the water when it is tipped over to feed.
- Some babies may find the flow rate slow, and since there are no ways to enlarge the hole without damaging the teat, parents have to switch it out for a different one.
- Parents have mentioned that the anti-colic system has its flaws as it still vents some of the air through the teat. They would prefer it if air bubbles didn’t go through it.
- The volume markers on the side are also small and often hidden behind graphics.
MAM bottles offer decent quality for their price and large varieties in sizes, flow rates, designs, and colors. Along with the bottles’ 94% acceptance rate, parents can be positive that there are certainly options out there to appeal to the fussiest of babies.
Furthermore, a number of parents swear by these when it comes to transitioning to bottle feeding, finding sustainable BPA and BPS-free baby products, experimenting with the right flow rate, and reducing the risk of colic in infancy. Thus, with its unique features and unmatched variety, MAM bottles should definitely be on your wish list.