Most women want to have shorter monthly periods with less unpleasant and painful symptoms for many good reasons. Average periods can last three to seven days, but there are ways that you can shorten the time and reduce bleeding. Find out how to shorten your period below.
First, we will look at the ways that you could shorten a period medically.
Note: You should not try to adopt any mentioned procedure by yourself. Get yourself checked by a doctor and if no pathology is found, you can try these methods. An irregular period could be a sign of uterine fibroids, polyps, endometriosis, PCOS and other gynecological diseases.
Female contraceptives are able to shorten a period length over time. There are some that can lighten the flow and others that can decrease the number of periods a woman experiences in one year.
1. Oral contraceptives (the pill): If you are taking oral contraceptives, then you would typically have to take one active pill daily for twenty-one days. The active pills contain estrogen hormones or a combination of progesterone and estrogen. After the active pills are taken, you would take one placebo pill for seven days and these would allow your period to start. The most common way for you to suppress or reduce your period is to skip the week when you are to take the placebo pill and then start on a new pack immediately.
2. Continuous-use OC (oral contraceptive): There are some oral contraceptives which are designed to decrease the number of periods you have in a year. For these to work, you would take active pills in a series of 84 days followed by the placebos for 7 days. Your period will come during this time. Many studies show that it is safe to use continuous OC and that it can eliminate menstrual periods in over fifty percent of women when used for twelve months.
Other female contraceptives such as the vaginal rings, and patches can be used during an extended regimen to shorten the length of your bleeding and suppress menstruation.
Bear in mind that you need a prescription to get these contraceptives so you have to consult with your doctor. He or she can give the best recommendations in choosing the right method, and for extended use.
How to Shorten Your Period Naturally
Women have been using certain herbs for hundreds of years to regulate their periods. You can try them in a liquid, pill, and tea form to lighten or shorten your period.
1. Maca root: A hormonal imbalance can change your period cycle and this herb has proven to be a very effective treatment. The Maca root can regulate the hormones which the hypothalamus and pituitary gland produces, and this will, in turn, regulate the function of your ovaries . You can find it in capsules or powder form.
2. Chasteberry: Available in tablet, capsule, and liquid form, this herb will work by controlling the increased prolactin levels, a hormone that the pituitary gland releases to trigger menstruation or ovulation. You can use a 20 mg dose one to three times daily.
3. Yarrow: This herb works as a hemostatic and reduces bleeding by constricting blood vessels or tissues . You can drink this herbal mixture one week prior to your period. To make this yarrow tincture, you can wash the white yarrow flower heads thoroughly and leave them inside a strainer to drain the water completely. After that, the yarrow should be packed lightly in a clean glass jar with an inch or so left out at the top. Pour plain vodka into the jar, cap it tightly, and then store it in a dark, cool cupboard. You should then shake this mixture one or two times daily and strain it once more within six weeks. At this time it will be ready to use.
4. Raspberry tea: You can drink one to three cups of this tea daily to combat heavy bleeding and get relief from painful menstrual cramps.
You can benefit a lot from a regular exercise program if you want to achieve a lighter and shorter period. Exercise can help to improve irregular periods, strengthen pelvic muscles, as well as regulate menstrual cycles by decreasing the amount of fat around the ovaries and various other internal organs.
It is always important to drink plenty of water to maintain good health and this extends into maintaining a regular menstrual cycle each month. Drinking water might or might not shorten your menstruation, but it definitely will help you to feel more comfortable. Otherwise, when your body is dehydrated vasopressin hormones will be created and this is going to trigger cramps during menstruation.
Many people have mixed reports for whether sex or masturbation during a period can reduce its duration, but it can make you feel better overall. Sexual activity can actually help to relieve PMS when you are menstruating. It is said that orgasms can relieve cramps because the orgasmic contractions of your uterus will give a soothing internal massage. Orgasms also release natural mood enhancers and painkillers to help soothe headaches, cramps, irritability, and mild depression.
Reusable Menstrual Products
There are some women who report that these products help to lighten and shorten their periods. These include menstrual cups, sea sponges, and washable cloth pads.
Hopefully, these tips on how to shorten your period will be helpful for you.